Welcome to Est. 1999, the official blog of Abraham Translations. As is perhaps easy to surmise, the name of this blog reflects the year that Abraham Translations was founded.
It all began with the correction of a few texts that had been translated by another time-pressed translator. Within the year, translating had become my main source of income; now, it has long been the only way I put bacon on the table.
I am rather proud of many of the projects on which I have worked.
Est. 1999, basically, is a visual confirmation of past projects, a blowing of my own horn, a presentation of translator-related topics, and an occasional departure into other areas that I deem worthy of presenting. Enjoy.

Thursday 15 January 2015

Madame Nobel / Eine Liebe für den Frieden (2014)

(Madame Nobel / A Love of Peace) Translating screenplays is one of my favorite activities. For this German-Austrian biographical docudrama directed by Urs Egger and written by Rainer Berg and Thomas Wendrich, I had the pleasure of doing so for Monafilm, the producing company. (Herewith, however, I would like to state that I did NOT translate the English language plot description found on their website.)
Basic plot of the movie: In 1905, the Austrian Bertha von Suttner (Birgit Minichmayr), née Countess Kinsky von Chinic und Tettau,
an outspoken peace activist and author, became the first woman to be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. Long before that, in 1876, and prior to running away with and eventually marrying Arthur von Suttner (Philipp Hochmair), Bertha von Suttner had worked briefly as the secretary of Alfred Nobel (Sebastian Koch) in Paris. Linked by respect and love, separated by conventions and position, Bertha and Alfred shared a special relationship that spanned decades and contributed to both Bertha's development as an author and peace activist as well as Nobel's decision to create the internationally respected Peace Prize that bears his name.
I watched Eine Liebe für den Frieden when it was broadcast on ARD on January 3rd, 2015, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment